Thursday, May 12, 2011

Tool Grinding In a Pinch




Lately I’ve been working on a bunch of small, round lens-holder parts that have somewhat complex inside contours with multiple ledges and inside chamfers at tight tolerances. I needed a sturdy lathe tool to reach inside a bore and cut a 1/8” chamfer on the corner of a ledge. My small boring bar would have been perfect, except that I had made the nose so sharp. I needed the sharp nose for making sharp inside corners but that pointy nose also made a very rough surface on the chamfer. A second tool with a rounded nose was what I really needed.

Rather than make a trip to the tool store or order another boring bar online, I ground a suitable tool from square HSS tool stock. It took about 15 minutes out of my day and is just as functional as a fancy, round boring bar.

 View of cutting edge.

 Bottom view.

Top view.

No comments:

Post a Comment