Monday, April 25, 2011

Basics of Lathe Tool Grinding

Here are a couple of good web resources for basic lathe tool bit grinding. Study them if you don’t know how to do it. If you do know how, this is a good review.




A rut I’ve gotten into recently is the habit of grabbing the indexable tool holder to carry out most of the lathe turning procedures that I do. It’s convenient and quick. The tool height is already set up. I don’t have to think very much. But I’m calling it a rut because it’s making me lazy, not to mention it’s expensive to buy carbide inserts, and when I’m tired or I get a little clumsy I tend to break them. The inserts are just not as forgiving for me as a good high speed steel tool bit. Therefore, I’ve decided to brush up on my lathe tool grinding skills with the intent to get better about using steel bits.

It’s extremely satisfying to hog out a new, custom lathe tool in just a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment